Carpenter's Kids was originally supported through a database appeal in 2009. We are still happy to receive donations and to forward them to this ministry.
The fundamental aim of the programme is to ensure that each "Carpenter's Kid" receives a school uniform, a pair of shoes, and adequate school supplies to enable them to attend primary school. These children will also be provided with breakfast on school days. The goal is to support 50 children in each of 200 parishes.
In support of that fundamental aim, the programme has also grown to provide support to the Kids in other ways:
- Carpenter’s Kids who gain entrance to secondary school or vocational training (e.g. carpentry or tailoring) are now provided with the financial support to attend;
- Every household with a Carpenter’s Kid now receives two long-lasting, insecticide-treated mosquito nets;
- An emergency healthcare fund ensures that Kids who contract malaria or other illnesses are able to access medical care and treatment.
Another vital area of support is the Reconstructive Surgery for childrenwith cleft lips and club feet. For just a fraction of the price of what we would expect to pay here, The Carpenter’s Kids programme can arrange for live changing surgery for these children. Just:
- $90 will pay for corrective surgery for a child with a cleft palate or lip
- $90 will pay for corrective surgery for a child under 10 years old with a club foot
- $250 will pay for corrective surgery, casts, special shoes and crutches for a child over 10 years old with a club foot
- $130 will pay for the follow up visit to hospital after surgery