The Overseas Mission – Tikanga Pākehā Council is made up of representatives from each pākehā diocese plus the National Directors of Anglican Missions and NZCMS, and the Overseas and Outreach Coordinator of AAW (Association of Anglican Women).
They meet four times a year (some are by zoom) to share information, report back on mission initiatives and, until the last couple of years, to discuss applications for funding to help those wishing to take part in a short term mission trip or those wanting funds for overseas missions initiatives for their parish/diocese. Funds are available to the Council from an annual grant from the Anglican Missions Board.
Since the outbreak of Covid-19 the role of OMTP has changed somewhat. As no short term missions trips were able to take place during 2020, 2021 and unlikely to do so for 2022, the Council members focus has changed from funding for short-term mission trips to general support and liaison with parishes on all aspects of overseas mission, such as promoting mission initiatives, sharing information and supporting fundraising activities.
However if there is a possibility of a short-term mission trip being able to take place later in 2022 or going forward, there are some details below to provide information for preparation/applying for funding.
You can also discuss mission initiatives, ideas and ask questions from your Diocesan representatives, (some of whom are members of a Diocese Missions group), as below (and also listed on the application form):
- Auckland Diocese – Rev Shashi Christian - firstname.lastname@example.org - ph:021 154 1827
- Christchurch Diocese – Rev Peter Hurricks – email@example.com – ph: 021 084 59752; or Lesley Allan <firstname.lastname@example.org> Secretary to Rev'd Peter Hurricks, Chair of the Christchurch Diocesan Council
- Dunedin Diocese – Dot Muir – email@example.com – ph: 027 405 5218
- Nelson Diocese – Rev John Sherlock – firstname.lastname@example.org – ph: 021 070 7276
- Waiapu Diocese – Rev David van Oeveren – email@example.com – ph: 021 470 337
- Wellington Diocese – Rev Guy Benton – firstname.lastname@example.org – ph: 020 413 04283
- Waikato Taranaki Diocese – Lance Pilbrow - email@example.com
Apply for Funding
If you would like to apply for funding you can download the application form. As noted above, the form includes criteria; as well as a list of Diocesan representatives who can be contacted for more information.
You can also contact OM-TP Secretary, Rev Dawn Daunauda at firstname.lastname@example.org for information and to apply. Applications need a letter of commendation from both your Diocesan Missions Council/group, and your Bishop.
Applications are considered at each meeting – Feb, May, Aug and Nov (around the 27th of those months).
On return from a Short Term Missions trip, a report is completed for the OM-TP Council and Anglican Missions using these guidelines
The links on some of the previous trips listed below will take you to the report of their mission, which will give you an idea of the sort of short-term mission trips that have been supported in past years.
- From Fiji to Anglican Youth MInistries, Diocese of Wellington
- From Waikanae Parish to India
- From Auckland Anglican Youth Ministries (BOLD) (Building outstanding leaders & disciples) to Fiji
- From St Margaret’s, Hillsborough, Auckland to Japan – for young people to develop leadership skills
- From Churton Park Parish, Wellington to Vishnakhupatnam, India
- From the Diocese of Wellington (Blueprint, Urban Vision, AYM) to Kolkata, India (see photo top right)
- From Kondoa, Africa to Whangaparaoa Parish
- Rev Dawn Daunauda for a year’s teaching English at Talua Theological College in Vanuatu (this grant was carried over from 2017 funds)
- Fiji to Wellington Anglican Youth Ministries – attending discipleship camp
- Anglican Youth Ministries (BOLD) (Building outstanding leaders & disciples) from Auckland to Fiji (planned for Dec 2018)
- Parishes/Churches of Upper Clutha, St John’s, Invercargill & All Saint’s, Riversdale, Dunedin to Vanuatu including repair to cyclone damaged roof at Talua Theological College (see photo to the right)
- Rev Craig Harris, Auckland to Myanmar to strengthen the links with the church there
- Balclutha Parish, Dunedin to Kapuna, Papua New Guinea – ongoing mission contact, including building and maintenance projects as well as ministry
- Family team on Madagascar outreach – Dec 2018 (photo: the rubbish dump community, Madagascar Dec 2018)
- Diocese of Waikato/Taranaki – two young leaders went to Nepal